Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Compost Competition!

Among other gardening things done today, (water, weeding, feeding, etc) when I got home from my nanny gig, my husband and I went out to look at the compost pile. He was commenting on how hot it was when he got home, so I went over to check it myself. I told him we could check it with our meat thermometer, and he said do you want to take a picture of it and put it on your blog? I immediately said that EG does that sometimes. He looked at me kind of funny and said 'EG'? He said that it was funny that I said it so nonchalantly, as if he knew who I was talking about. In reality, he would have known exactly who I was talking about if I would have said "Engineered Garden Guy" which is the nickname I've used this past year and a half when talking to my husband when referring to EG's blog. That I slipped and used the common blogger nickname made the situation funny. ANYWAY, I ran into the house and got the thermometer, and checked the part of the pile we were looking at, and it sat right at 134 degrees Fahrenheit. My husband was pretty impressed, as was I, since we had never actually checked how hot it was getting. I then said, "EG's sometimes gets his compost pile up in the 150's-160's range" and my husband said, "Oh yeah? I'll find 150!" This time he made ME laugh. So there's the compost competition. Here it is: Just under 150 degrees. Kind of hard to see.

My husband said he'd probably find hotter, and that we just needed a longer thermometer. He's normally not the competitive type, but that just made me smile!

1 comment:

  1. That's such a funny story! Your compost is at the perfect temperature, and should remain above 110 for at least 2 weeks. At that time, you'll wanna add more greens, add some water, and turn the pile. Good job!

    ReplyDelete