Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Zucchini is Weird.

end of story. I can't figure it out. Please explain why this particular fruit (that still has a closed blossom...) is big enough that I had to pick it, and the one that I hand pollinated is only four inches long.

Blossom still thinking about opening up. This is not a mushy, opened and reshut blossom. I'm out there everyday, and watch these things like crazy. (Crazy is probably the correct word for how many times I go out and look at the garden and the turtles)



If you click on this one to enlarge it, you can KIND of see the smaller fruit (that is growing...) that was hand pollinated compared to the huge one still left on! I know, I know, you can also see that my plants have powdery mildew, and they've been ravaged by wind damage... but I'm okay with not feeding the community my zucchini.  They've also had a very hard time dealing with this 15-16 day span of above 90 temperatures in their 2.5 gallon containers. They've needed a couple of reviving efforts along the way, but they're still kicking.



I'm going to try to keep it short, this time, just thought this was strange. Here's a quick look at the garden progress.  Lettuce is beginning its bolting process, so that'll be out of there pretty soon.  Nice to see the mixtures of colors while they last.



3 comments:

  1. That is strange indeed. I am so impressed that you are growing zucchini in a container pot. Does it do well like that? How many fruits do you usually get when they are in containers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird or not - it'll still taste good!

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  3. meemsnyc= This is the first year I've ever grown them in containers, but honestly, with as small as my garden is, this is how I'll be doing it from now on. I'll try to keep track of the plants this year though. I have two yellow squash and two zucchini plants. This past week, we've ended up with three zucchini and one yellow squash, and right now I have another two yellow squash, and another zucchini that will be ready in the next couple of days. If they keep up like this even for another couple of weeks, they'll be worth every bit of the four dollars I spent on the pots from the dollar store.

    EG- It did still taste good! It had basically no evidence of seeds, and that's the only difference I could tell. I just can't make sense of them.

    ReplyDelete