Saturday, June 4, 2011

Girls, Girls, Girls.

Nope, not a dirty post, and you won't be finding one from me.  BUT, I am having an issue with my squash, which I am pretty sure is atypical for squash growers.  All I have are female blossoms for my squash plants, and absolutely no males.  The single male that opened was a weird conjoined twin one, and it didn't seem to have any pollen in it.  It looks as though there are a few males that will be ready in the next day or so, but I have lost a LOT of female flowers since they have taken so long!




Some of my unpollinated female zucchinis are so large that I think we're going to eat them anyway.  If I would have left these on the plant, they would have shriveled up and rotted.  (There have been absolutely NO males, and none of my neighbors garden...)

Anyone else ever eat these? I'll let you know if they're awful!


The yellow squash buds are nearly as big, so those got thrown to the compost pile.  Here's Arphaxad checking them out.


In other news, my slug catching is going great.  I've even gotten to feed the extra ones hanging out around the rim to the turtles... I'll spare the full on photo, because frankly, it's pretty gross.

The weather here has been in the 90's for the past week, and is going to continue to be in the 90s for at least the next ten days according to weather.com, so I'm hoping my tomatoes still pollinate! There have been some cooler nights, but this morning, when I went out to water at 6 am, it was already 80.

Here are a few that HAVE pollinated!  Here's a roma, which are loading themselves up, and I no longer feel bad showing my Celebrity (nursery start) tomato, now that one of my babies that I planted has a tomato.


2 comments:

  1. Wait for E.G. to chime in, I'm pretty sure he said that's normal and the males will come... mine haven't blossomed yet but I'm sure I'll worry too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm sure I'll find out! There are a few males about to come, I'm just not used to having all of these females wasted. At least the blossoms are pretty regardless!

    ReplyDelete